~ 4 egg whites
~ 1 cup honey
~ 1 teaspoon vanilla
~ Generous pinch sea salt
~ Toppings of choice:
Melted chocolate, jams, chopped pistachios, etc.
1. REFRIGERATE BOWL: Before you begin, remove the bowl from your stand mixer and place it in the refrigerator. The egg whites whip up quickly when the bowl is cold!
2. MEDIUM-SIZED BOWL: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the egg whites, honey, vanilla, and sea salt.
3. BOILING: Set the bowl over a medium-sized saucepan that has been filled with about 3″ of water. Bring the water to a low boil. While the water is boiling, begin to whisk the egg whites and honey together with a large whisk. Continue to whisk for 3 minutes until the egg whites have aerated and turned into a nice, white froth of sorts.
4. COLD BOWL: Pull the cold bowl from the refrigerator and attach it to your stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Pour the frothy egg mixture into the cold bowl and begin whisking on high.
5. WHISK: Continue to whisk until the mixture is shiny and has stiff peaks.
6. LINING: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop spoonful of the meringue mixture onto the sheet.
7. CHOCOLATE: If you are going to use chocolate, use the double boiler method to warm up the chocolate.
8. SWIRL: Time to swirl in your toppings with the meringues.
9. BAKE: Place the meringues in a 225 degree oven. Bake for 1.5 hours. After this time, shut the oven off and allow the meringues to sit in the warm oven to ‘dehydrate’ a bit until to the perfect crispy/chewy combination of your choosing. I usually let mine sit overnight and enjoy them the next morning.
Shout out to, “The Elliot Homestead”, for this yummy recipe and beautiful photos. Check out their site to find more information.